Interesting stuff in "Advanced" Amateur Radio

Anything that doesn't seem to fit elsewhere
kb9mwr

Interesting stuff in "Advanced" Amateur Radio

Post by kb9mwr » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 pm

I used to read Steve's columns in CQ-VHF.

He seems to have recently revived his blog that was long time dormant:

https://www.n8gnj.org/2021/02/them-that ... ed-v2.html

KC9YGK

Re: Interesting stuff in "Advanced" Amateur Radio

Post by KC9YGK » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:48 am

I'd like to play with 1.25 - but as mentions, it's underutilized. That being said, I think it could make an interesting data mode. I believe it isn't as limited in speed (as per regs) as 2m. I don't know if anyone else is doing anything with it in the area. If there were other stations utilizing it I'd get a radio. I know at one time it was used for links with WAPR - when that was a thing. The other things I've been following (that was mentioned in the link was TARPN : http://tarpn.net/) It looks like their setups use 2 radios per station, which would be a bit much - but still looks like an interesting project if you got enough people interested.

kb9mwr

Re: Interesting stuff in "Advanced" Amateur Radio

Post by kb9mwr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 pm

Steve, N8GNJ also has some stuff at superpacket.org

https://www.superpacket.org/2021/04/wel ... aders.html

When I read of his latest there reminded me of why I like reading what he'd write. Simple put; He thinks like me.
Amateur Radio exists to provide a portion of spectrum for personal, hands-on experimentation with radio technology and systems, as well as training for operation of radio systems and radio-based networks.

One major criticism I have with the ARRL is that despite their ostensible mission to promote and grow Amateur Radio in the US, almost all of their content is sequestered behind a paywall. You must be a (paid) ARRL member to access their archives. In 2021, that stance makes no sense, and the ARRL is diminished by persisting with that paid membership requirement instead of making their content publicly accessible for the overall good of Amateur Radio.
While I am no ARRL fan boy, I don't agree with him 100 % on this one. While I don't like paywalls either, I do feel there is adequate info that they "put in the clear." If they gave everything away, then there'd be no business model to compel membership.

And for what it's worth, I just bought the 2020 QST periodicals CD and reviewed what I was missing by not being a member. Summary: nothing. I"m not even sure I'll buy their periodicals CD next year.

If anyone is interested in having or borrowing the CD let me know.

There is better content on hackaday, repeaterbuilder, and other sites than you'll find in the ARRL rags. Even QEX sucked.